Thursday 3 February 2011

Evaluation For Shoot 1...

I have shown the best images from the shoot in the last post but to be honest I don't really like them, they are just the best of what I took. For starters, on the day before of the shoot, I went to go and get a film for the 35 mm camera but they had ran out and didn't know where I could get another one from. So that went all wrong to begin with and evidently I din't end up using the black and white camera that I had planned to. Therefore the whole shoot had to be shot in digital which isn't what I wanted for this shoot.

I styled my model the best I could and tried to use references from old fashioned clothing, I used pastel creams for the tops etc but still wanted to use classic horse attire such as jodphurs. I pulled her hair back into a slick bun and used dramatic make-up on the eyes to make them stand out. I tried my best with the styling but lets face it, i'm not a stylist and really should have used a stylist for my shoot.

When we arrived at the location, the weather changed drastically and it was pouring with rain nonstop which also ruined my ideas for the shoot. I wanted to do some shots in the stables and some whilst my model was riding her horse but I ended up having to change this and do all of the shots in the stables. I used natural lighting because the horse would have got scared if I used flash but this did work to my advantage as I gained natural highlights and shadows on my model and the horse. The stbales was very small and couldnt really move that much so I had to try and work within the space we had. Monty the horse was quite hard to work with as he kept moving around which is what I expected as he wasn't a trained horse for events like these.

I did get some ok shots from inside the stable but it wasn't what I really wanted. Ideally I should have used a different model and not just my friend but as I said before in my planning, I couldnt use anybody else otherwise the horse wouldn't have been as relaxed as he was on the day. However because I didn't use a real model, the poses arn't as relaxed as I'd hoped and this creates tention in my images. In my post production work on the images, I decided to desaturate them to drown out some of the colour, the images wer to colourful for the look I was going for so I thought this would make the images more aesthetically pleasing. I'm not happy with the result I got really but they are all just little things that didn't really work out on the day and I think if I was to do this shoot again on a different day and be able to go outside with my model then the shots would look completely different.

I think next time, I would use a stylist to help me dress my model as I dont really think I did the best job and also I would hope that the weather was different and get some better lighting shots.

I am proud of myself for this shoot though, only because I have never shot with an animal before, I was pushing myself to something I have never experienced before, sadly it did not work out but I am happy that I tried. Now that I know working with animals isn't as easy as I'd thought, I wont be attempting to do this sort of shoot again. I am still sticking with the animals in fashion theme but I will try to use the animals with actually featuring them in the shots. I will do this through means of suggestion, using clothing, make-up and animal manerisms to get my point across.

No comments:

Post a Comment